The chain in this chain kit is nothing less than a revolution.
So far it’s been like this: anyone riding a motorcycle with a chain as secondary drive was forced to clean, grease and re-tension O-ring chains. This innovative chain puts an end to this. With the new HPE Z-ring chain, all of the advantages of a chain drive are brought to bear for the first time without having to accept any of the negatives. HPE stands for High Performance Endurance.
And it improves the effectiveness of the drive so that more power is directed to the back wheel, or alternatively, consumption can be reduced. This is because for the first time the surfaces of the rollers and sleeves come with a DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating that significantly reduces abrasion and wear.
With the HPE chain, Regina earns the claim of having transferred this innovative technology to the motorcycle chain.
Working in cooperation with the renowned chain manufacturer Regina, BMW has developed the first almost zero-maintenance chain that BMW has so far offered exclusively as the M Endurance Chain for the high-powered RR. We now provide this innovative chain technology for retrofitting under the designation HPE (High Performance Endurance) for lots of models!
Combined with the chain wheel and sprocket, manufactured to precision and perfect fit from the best steel using the latest manufacturing processes. This optimises the lifespan of the chain to the maximum.
The chain kit consists of the chain with rivet lock as well as the sprocket and the chain wheel in their original iteration.
The HPE chain only requires minimal care and maintenance.
To retain the function and look of your HPE chain, the manufacturer recommends following these three rules for maintenance:
- Clean and lubricate the chain
- after washing your motorcycle, after riding in the rain and/or in salty/dusty environments
- prior to overwintering your motorcycle at the end of the season (winter)
- lubricate the chain at least once a year
- Check the chain tension after every 3,000 km and adjust where required
Anyone riding a motorcycle with a chain as secondary drive was forced to clean and grease O-ring chains. Why was that necessary? There are a few reasons:
- To increase the lifespan by reducing wear:
dust, water and road dirt really attack the chain, especially when you also add off-road use into the mix. As they combine, they form an aggressive, abrasive sandpaper-like material that wears the chain down and also contributes to stretching. If you don’t adequately clean and lubricate the chain, this also reduces the lifespan of the sprocket and chain wheel.
- Increasing efficiency
When a chain is lubricated well, the abrasion between the rollers and the sleeves is reduced, particularly when redirected via the sprocket and chain wheel. This has the effect of providing greater engine power to the rear wheel than with an unlubricated chain. Or on the flip side, a well lubricated chain allows you to reduce fuel consumption without changing your riding style.
- Soiling from grease deposits
Even with careful maintenance, you can’t rule out the possibility of grease deposits from the chain landing on the rim of the back wheel, on the swing arm or on the bottom of the rider’s and passenger’s trousers. It has a stubborn sticky consistency – and in any case, the grease should stay stuck to the chain even when the chain is spinning at high revolutions. The clean-up is time-consuming, and sometimes even impossible when it comes to clothes.
In summary: the new HPE chain avoids all of these disadvantages!
This is where the transfer of technology from machine construction comes in; similar DLC coatings have been used there, for example, on tools that face a high rate of wear and tear very successfully for a long time now in order to significantly increase the maintenance times for these compared to uncoated tools. Regina earns the claim of having transferred this innovative technology to the motorcycle chain.
- With this chain, all of the advantages of a chain drive are brought to bear for the first time without having to accept any of the negatives. Thanks to the DLC coating on the sockets and sleeves
- The HPE chain only requires minimal care and maintenance.
- the chain wear is significantly reduced
- the re-tensioning intervals are extended
- it achieves at least the same lifespan as a standard lubricated, Z-ring chain
- the efficiency of the drive is improved
- more power is supplied to the rear wheel
- consumption can be reduced
- Includes rivet lock* * For your own safety, REGINA recommends that you always use a rivet lock. Riveting requires specialist expertise and special tools!
- includes chain wheel and sprocket (original iteration: 16/42) manufactured to precision and perfect fit from the best steel
- Wunderlich BLAU. Sustainable product.
- Better efficiency
- No need for cleaning fluid and lubricant
- Chain type: 525
- Number of links: 116
- HPE Z-ring chain
- Chain colour: Gold
- Wunderlich BLAU. Sustainable product
- Tested by Wunderlich